After missing nearly a month with elbow soreness, right-handed phenom Felix Hernandez is back and he's ready to bring the heat.
Hernandez will take the hill for the Seattle Mariners (17-16) when they host division rival Kelvim Escobar and the Los Angeles Angels (22-17) at 10:05pm tonight.
Felix was dominant in his first two starts, allowing just four hits and striking out 18 over 17 scoreless innings before feeling a twinge in his elbow during a game against the Minnesota Twins on April 18th.
Escobar, on a four-start winning streak, has limited opponents to three runs and 17 hits in 23.2 innings during this run. He is 5-7 with three saves and a 4.66 ERA in 14 starts and 27 overall appearances versus the Mariners.
Angels right fielder/hitting monster Vladimir Guerrero is a .367 career hitter at Safeco Field with six longballs and 22 RBIs, and is batting .286 lifetime against Hernandez.
More AL Games Today...
- Twins (18-19) @ Indians (21-14) 7:05pm ET
- Tigers (23-14) @ Red Sox (26-11) 7:05pm ET
- Orioles (18-21) @ Blue Jays (16-22) 7:07pm ET
- Rangers (15-23) @ Devil Rays (15-22) 7:10pm ET
- Yankees (17-19) @ White Sox (18-16) 8:11pm ET
- Royals (13-26) @ Athletics (19-18) 10:05pm ET
Right-handed ace Carlos Zambrano and the Chicago Cubs (17-19) will continue a four-game series when they face young righty John Maine and the surging New York Mets (24-13) at 7:10pm ET this evening.
Zambrano, who tied for the NL-lead in wins last season with 16, is not quite comparable this year, as he has allowed four or more runs in five of his eight starts and yielded a league-high 10 homers. He's a career 2-1 with a 4.76 ERA in four games - three starts - against the Mets.
While Big Z is off to a rather slow start, Maine has been lights out so far. He has the third-best ERA in the NL and his .188 opponent batting average is fifth-best in the league. The Mets have won all seven games Maine has started this season, allowing two or fewer runs in six of those outings.
Zambrano better keep an eye on Jose Reyes, since he leads the majors by a long shot (8) with 23 stolen bags. He's hitting .338 with 23 RBIs this season, but 12-for-53 lifetime against the Cubs.
Alfonso Soriano is batting just .154 in his career against Maine, but both of those hits have been homers.
More NL Games Today...
- Marlins (16-22) @ Pirates (17-20) 7:05pm ET
- Brewers (25-13) @ Phillies (18-20) 7:05pm ET
- Braves (24-14) @ Nationals (13-25) 7:05pm ET
- Giants (19-18) @ Astros (18-19) 8:05pm ET
- Diamondbacks (20-19) @ Rockies (16-22) 8:35pm ET
- Reds (15-24) @ Padres (21-18) 10:05pm ET
- Cardinals (16-20) @ Dodgers (23-16) 10:10pm ET