Right-hander Freddy Garcia gets the ball tonight when the Philadelphia Phillies (12-14) wrap up their three-game series against lefty Chuck James and the NL East-leading Atlanta Braves (16-10) at 7:35pm ET tonight.
While the Phillies got off to a terrible 4-11 start this season, they are in the midst of rebounding as they've won eight of their last eleven games.
Garcia, who won 17 games last season with the Chicago White Sox before being traded to Philadelphia in December, has yet to pitch more than five innings in any of his three starts after opening the year on the disabled list with biceps tendinitis.
After losing two consecutive starts, James allowed four runs in 5.1 innings of a 9-7 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Friday and is 2-0 with a 2.18 ERA in four career games, including three starts, against Philly.
Left fielder Pat Burrell went 0-for-3 on Tuesday, and is hitless in 14 at-bats in his last five games, but may break out of his slump today as he is 5-for-10 lifetime with two homers and a double against James.
More NL Games Today...
- Cubs (10-14) @ Pirates (12-12) 12:35pm ET
- Cardinals (10-15) @ Brewers (17-9) 1:05pm ET
- Marlins (13-13) @ Mets (15-10) 1:10pm ET
- Diamondbacks (16-12) @ Dodgers (16-11) 3:10pm ET
- Reds (13-13) @ Astros (10-15) 8:05pm ET
- Nationals (9-18) @ Padres (14-13) 10:05pm ET
- Rockies (11-16) @ Giants (13-12) 10:15pm ET
Chad Gaudin and the Oakland Athletics (13-13) will aim for the sweep when they try to cool down 5-game winner Josh Beckett and the AL East-leading Boston Red Sox (16-9) tonight at 7:05pm ET.
With a victory today, Beckett can become the first Red Sox hurler since Roger Clemens in 1991 to win his first six starts of the year. However, history shows that Beckett has struggled in his only three starts against the A's , going 1-2 with a 6.23 ERA last season.
Gaudin, who had made only 10 starts in his four previous big league seasons before joining Oakland's rotation this year, is 1-0 with a 1.66 ERA in 13 career relief appearances against Boston.
More AL Games Today...
- Orioles (12-15) @ Tigers (15-11) 1:05pm ET
- White Sox (12-12) @ Mariners (11-10) 3:35pm ET
- Blue Jays (13-13) @ Indians (15-8) 7:05pm ET
- Athletics (13-13) @ Red Sox (16-9) 7:05pm ET
- Twins (15-11) @ Devil Rays (11-15) 7:10pm ET
- Yankees (10-14) @ Rangers (10-16) 8:05pm ET
- Angels (16-11) @ Royals (8-19) 8:10pm ET